Baby Names UK - Community

Welcome to the Baby Names forum community!
Main site links:
Baby Names, Boys Names, Girls Names, Name Origins.

Register to remove this advert. Click here, it won't take long!

Thread: How long did you wait before telling people you were expecting?

Default How long did you wait before telling people you were expecting?

Title is self explanatory really!

I think the given time that is "normal" to wait to tell people is 3 months, i suppose because the risk of miscarriage reduces after 12 weeks.

Did you all manage to keep your mouths shut until 12 weeks?! If you did, i have no idea how! I didn't. Everyone knew by the time i was 7 weeks, although this wasn't really intentional, in the town where i live gossip spreads like wildfire, so i actually only told 2 people and soon everyone knew.

I'm just bad a keeping secrets i think, especially exciting ones! Although this time around it might be nice to leave it a few more weeks just to keep it our little secret for a while
    Libby Marie 15-07-09

Max Thomas 12-01-13

I gave up smoking so people pretty much guessed straight away despite me trying to deny it!

I had to tell my parents immediately after I found out on E, as did OH. It was the right thing to do because we were both financially dependant on our parents at that stage and it would have been selfish and unfair of us not to tell them when it was such a big deal.
    On V, we didn't tell the parents till I was 12 weeks along. After that we gradually told our siblings and friends etc, but a lot of people didn't find out till I was about 16 weeks or so
    Last edited by NewMama22; 08-19-2012 at 02:01 AM.

I don't really see much point waiting till 12 weeks to tell people as having a miscarriage is quite hard to keep a secret (from close family and friends anyway), plus I can't wait that long . I've had 2 miscarriages before, the first I was told at my 12 week scan that the baby had died, everybody knew about the pregnancy so everyone had to be told, second time around I was about 6 or 7 weeks and no-one knew, we still had to tell everyone as I chose to have the miscarriage naturally and not have it taken away so it lasted about 5 weeks in total, making it impossible to go anywhere - it actually seemed much easier the first time round to tell people as they already knew I was pregnant (although in fairness my husband did the telling as I was too upset) so word just kind of spread, 2nd time I had to explain I was losing a baby that noone knew I was having.
    Mummy to
    Charlie Samantha Valentine (15)
    Joshua James Levi (8)

I'd probably try to hold off til 12 weeks but I imagine the excitement would be so hard to bear! When my Mum was expecting me, she didn't even have to tell my Nan... my Nan just 'knew' !

My friend was 18 weeks when she told me she was expecting, but that's because she wanted to tell me in person... everyone else knew at 12

How did you break the news to parents? I think I'd be more scared of telling the in-laws, as lovely as they are

Favourites:
    Isaac, Edwin, Fraser, Xavier, Tobias, Dennis, Amadeus
    Harriet, Aurelia, Amelie, Esther, Beatrice, Eleanor, Ottilie

Is there something you want to tell us what with the new boy/girl list and this question?????????
    I didnt hold off I told straight away with number 4 you ladies were all 2nd to know after my Hubby

After OH, my uni friends knew next, as i lived in a shared house with them and couldn't not tell them really! Found out i was preg on a weekend at OH's house, and found out late on the sunday night so ended up staying at his house for an extra few days so they wanted to know why i had missed uni.

My OH's parents were absolutely fine, said they were happy for us as long as we were happy.

My mum on the other hand went mental! Think my situation sounds similar to NewMamas, i was still financially dependant on my parents (i was at uni) so i suppose she had reason to be less than pleased.

I had to drive home from uni to tell my mum, was scared out of my mind for the whole 3 and a half hour drive! She could tell after a few minutes, she said "you've got something to tell me haven't you".
    Libby Marie 15-07-09

Max Thomas 12-01-13

Quote Originally Posted by jamaka View Post
    Is there something you want to tell us what with the new boy/girl list and this question?????????
    I didnt hold off I told straight away with number 4 you ladies were all 2nd to know after my Hubby
    same here
    Mummy to
    Charlie Samantha Valentine (15)
    Joshua James Levi (8)

Quote Originally Posted by jamaka View Post
    Haha no not yet unfortunately. Fingers crossed for next month.
    Libby Marie 15-07-09

Max Thomas 12-01-13

Thread Information